Wednesday, March 28, 2012

DIY: Framed Canvas Decor



There is a tutorial somewhere down the page, but in order to introduce it I have to give the back story and let you into my world for a second.  The other day I was browsing the web when I came across a blog with a super cute nursery post.  Halfway down the post was a small graphic that had this verse on it:

"For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother's womb.  I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.  Marvelous are Your works, and that my soul knows very well."
Psalm 139:13-14

Aside from the fact that I am already extremely hormonal, the Lord really spoke to me as I read it and before I knew it I was sitting there crying.  Yes, I have heard this verse many a times probably just like you, but that was the first time I'd studied it since I became pregnant.

This verse is so powerful in many ways.  I began to think of how amazing God is and how He in that very instant, the months before, and even in the months to come was knitting together our little boy inside of me.  That is truly a miracle only He can perform.  I thought back to the precious little baby we'd lost and just how even with him/her He'd done the same thing.  Jace is such a miracle and we cannot wait to meet him!

I decided I wanted to use that verse somewhere around the nursery.  I have a few old frames I thought of using in a collage on a shelf somewhere and thought it'd be fun to print the verse on canvas and frame it up with the collage.  You can use this technique to print any graphic, poem, verse, or whatever--this is just what I did.


I started from scratch with the verse and changed the fonts and layout until I was pleased with how it looked.
 I recommend printing on regular printer paper first as a test to see how it looks in the frame and if any adjustments need to be made.  I used an 8.5x11 inch piece of canvas to make printing easier, but made sure to adjust the graphic so it'd fit a 5x7 frame.


Next, I took regular old craft canvas (which can be bought at pretty much any craft store) and cut an 8.5x11 inch piece.  I then cut a piece of card stock the same size, leaving just enough on the ends to tape the two together.  I am no "master crafter," and quite frankly most of the time I just like to get stuff done.  So this is probably not the most effective way of printing on fabric, but it worked just fine for me!  The card stock provides a little support for the flimsy canvas to go through the printer.




I set my printer as if I were printing a photo, hit print, and hoped for the best.  Once finished, I used the glass from the frame as a guide to trace around so I'd know how much excess canvas to cut off.

**The last few pictures are slightly blurry--sorry about that!

I decided not to use the glass to frame the canvas simply because I like how it looks better.  When it comes time to actually putting it up in the nursery I may change my mind.



Hopefully one day soon I can show you what it looks like in the nursery! :) 


 -Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment